Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is changing the thermostat for the heater/air conditioner a do-it-myself project?

I have done simple wiring around the house - replacing switches or outlets, replacing light fixtures. I'm confident that I can connect wires so that they will stay connected and I can do so without electrocuting myself, but I'm wondering if the thermostat is more complicated than the projects I've taken on so far? Hubby is an engineer, and can handle the technical stuff, but he's away from home, and I need to either fix it or schedule someone to come fix it ASAP. Summer in Texas is no time for the AC to be out.



So should I get out the pliers and electrical tape or the yellow pages?







(I'd like to put a programmable thermostat in if possible. I don't know if that will add to the complexity or not.)
Is changing the thermostat for the heater/air conditioner a do-it-myself project?
This is a simple process. In order to make sure that your new stat will work properly, label each wire as you remove it from the old one. Make sure that each wire goes on the same terminal on the new stat that it came from on the old one. If necessary, attach the stat to the wall with screws and plastic anchors. Be sure it's level. Set the program and you are good to go. Hope this helps.
Is changing the thermostat for the heater/air conditioner a do-it-myself project?
You MIGHT be able to get through it. Problem is that no two sets of wiring identification systems for thermostats are the same AND no assurance that the guy that put it in followed any identification rules but his own. IF you can identify which wire is which your can probably get through it. But you must be very methodical and painstaking to identify what goes to where.
yep. should be pretty simple. If not, stuff like that usually comes with instructions. Just make sure to turn the breaker switch off.
After doing what you have already, the thermostat, is a piece of cake.

Just follow the instructions that come with the unit. Just make sure, you get the same or similar type, that will work with your A/C heater.

I bought a programmable one, but with my schedule, I wasn't sure what to set it at. You need to set it for every day of the week, which is okay, if you have a strict schedule.

For me, I just turn it on and off, when needed. It's even easier to do that, with a remote control. that comes with some Thermostats,

Programming can be a big pain in the butt. Think of setting up your VCR, and you get the idea.
Don't worry! It's SO easy. If you are comfortable replacing switches, you've got it made. Just go buy the programmable thermostat of your choice and follow the instructions. It's one of the first things I do when I get a new apt or house. It can help save a lot of money.
Its no more difficult than changing a light switch.The wiring diagram comes with the new thermostat.However programing one sometimes is another story :)
Are you sure the problem is the thermostat?