Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do i need to empty my antifreeze when i change my thermostat gasket?

i have a small leak from my where my thermostat housing bolts on. so i need to change the gasket do i need to empty fluids first. would i need to refill and fluid.... 1989 C1500
Do i need to empty my antifreeze when i change my thermostat gasket?
make sure the upper hose is empty so it doesn't spill everywhere,
Do i need to empty my antifreeze when i change my thermostat gasket?
Drain it just enough so that the upper hose is empty. That way you won't have antifreeze gush out everywhere.
not necessary to empty just fill back any you lose in the process
No you don't need to empty the coolant , you'll loose a bit when you take it off and be sure to clean the surfaces well with a paint scraper or fine sandpaper before putting the new gasket in. Be also sure to take a small fine clean cloth and put it the hole so nothing can fall in it and what I recommend is using a high temperature gasket maker bec that will limit or avoid any possible further leaks.Also check the rad hoses and if old soft or cracked replace them and always replace the old hose clamps too when changing the thermostat etc.

Just don't forget to test the anti-freeze mixture with a anti-freeze tester , plus if the coolant hasn't been changed in awhile it's a good idea to change it too.



Hope that helps and best of luck.
Depends on the age of your antifreeze and the type. I believe you have the red or orange type in your vehicle. If it is aging, may be to your advantage to change out to restore additive levels.



Newer antifreeze would probably be OK to reuse. Putting a tube on the radiator petcock makes hitting a bucket or bottle easier and avoids washing junk off the car into the antifreeze.
  • streamreader
  • java
  •