Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm changing my thermostat on a '96 Explorer. Got a question(s)....?

So, do I really have to disconect the neg charge on the battery? Someone told me that... Second, do I really need to bleed all the coolant or can I just let some drain outta the top hose and mount, don't really see the point of draining it all? Third, what is %26quot;burping%26quot; your coolant system? Thanks to all who answer!!!
I'm changing my thermostat on a '96 Explorer. Got a question(s)....?
First yes, disconnect the Batt... Second No you don't have to Drain it all. Save it in a Container. there will be a Drain on the radiator Similer to a Faucet. drain about a Gallon. when finished you can reuse. third it gurgles because it is water. maybe you don't have enough coolant to water ratio and your water is evaporating. that's all I Know. can I borrow your Pen?
I'm changing my thermostat on a '96 Explorer. Got a question(s)....?
You should disconnect the battery before working on the car, that will prevent unintended sparking from your tools that could cause damage to the computer system of your engine. Most new cars don't have a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, so you probably will have to drain all of the coolant. Be sure to catch it in a container, and keep it away from pets and children, don't forget it is poison. %26quot;Burping%26quot; your cooling system allows the air bubbles in the system to escape. When refilling the cooling system, make sure that the engine and radiator have exchanged water through the thermostat a couple of times before you put the cap back on. Also, recheck the level in a couple of days, to ensure that the engine is completely filled. Since your vehicle is 12 years old, you might consider changing your radiator hoses also.
as long as the motor is cooled down do it the way you described , only thing with the battery is a safety feature so nothing touches the back of the alternator and then just purge the air out and your done sounds good to me no you don't have to drain everything great question
disconnecting battery is standard warning...not really required....just relieve pressure on system...catch fluid in drain pan...(dangerous to children and pets)...make sure small hole on t stat is at top when installing...let engine warm up to temp...checking fluid level...i have never had to burp system...some vehicles have a %26quot;bleeder%26quot; to remove air hence %26quot;burp%26quot;.... i have ranger and explorer...
Regarding the battery disconnect...I hardly ever do it, but it is a lot cheaper to do than it is to buy any thing that was arch damaged, such as an alternator or fusible links...

Regarding the coolant capture, yes, catch it in something that you can hit the hole on.

The green stuff is very dangerous for cats and dogs.

There is some new(er) non toxic stuff on the market, but with reasonable precautions you don't have to spend extra money in order to be safe.

If you put it in a clean container, you can re-use it when everything is tight again.
It is best to disconnect the battery, but another thing to keep in mind is to remove any metal watch band or gold rings you might have.

I once grounded a battery with my watch band and carried a blister on my wrist for better than a month. Take the time and remove the ground. Learn from my mistake, I know I did!