Tuesday, October 25, 2011

2001 Olds Alero Overheating. already changed thermostat?

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and it has been overheating on me for a couple weeks. It's getting hot enough the the engine starts to sputter, but it has never actually died on me yet. I changed out the Thermostat yesterday at my Fiancees house, and on the way back to my house (about 7 miles away) it started overheating again. Or I should say it started sputtering and the light came on. When I pulled over, I checked the engine myself, but it did not seem very hot. What could be the problem?
2001 Olds Alero Overheating. already changed thermostat?
It sounds like you have a head gasket leaking. You can buy a tester that can check that at a parts store. Hope this helps.
2001 Olds Alero Overheating. already changed thermostat?
could be a coolant temp sensor...but you could also have a head gasket leak or intake gasket leak...check you coolant levels..and your oil...if it looks like a milkshake your in big trouble. Get the car look at right away. we had a customer with your same problem and they chose to just change the t-stat but they had an internal head gasket leak. it could have cost them an engine